It's the season for giving! Of course, with so many charitable organizations to choose from, it can be overwhelming to decide which ones to support. While international charities and well-known causes certainly deserve attention, local organizations play a vital role in making our communities better places.
Charities cover a wide range of causes, from assisting the unhoused to addressing climate issues, helping underserved children, and even rescuing animals. It's natural to feel stuck between global issues and the desire to make a more immediate impact closer to home.
Why Local Charities Matter
Nonprofit organizations help to ensure the well-being of our communities. They typically address issues that are closest to us—housing, health care, the environment, education, animal welfare, and more.
Whether you donate or volunteer, supporting these organizations can have a positive impact on the lives of those around us—our friends and neighbors. They also address the most immediate issues in real time.
When the Marshall Fires devastated Boulder County in 2021, numerous local agencies were on the ground to assist victims on day one. Now, that’s powerful!
Plus, they’re often supported by people you may know, like our team here at PorchLight. In fact, a personal connection can make your support feel more meaningful which is why we’re providing a few suggestions from our agents.
Show Your Love for Our Favorite Charities
Now through Colorado Gives Day on December 5th, your support is more important than ever.
Created by Community First Foundation and FirstBank, this initiative allows enrolled nonprofits to claim a percentage of a $1 million Incentive Fund that amplifies all donations they receive. Charity organizations can also win another $100,000 in prizes and incentives.
Just head to the Colorado Gives website and search for any of these PorchLight-recommended organizations. You can learn more about what they do and make a donation—any amount helps!
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Colorado
- Colorado Coalition for the Homeless
- Colorado Public Radio
- Community Food Share
- Denver Scholarship Foundation
- Food Bank of the Rockies
- Junior League of Denver
Here are even more great causes that you may not know about:
- Family Tree—Provides innovative, life-changing services designed to end child abuse, domestic violence and homelessness.
- Good Life Refuge—The rescue provides a nurturing, safe and loving haven for abandoned, abused and at-risk farm animals.
- Urban Peak—Works with youth in the Denver metro area to exit homelessness and create self-determined, fulfilled lives.
- Warren Village—Assists low-income, single-parent families in achieving sustainable personal and economic self-sufficiency.
Volunteer, Donate and Support Directly
Our agents are also passionate about many other causes, including these local organizations that are not registered with Colorado Gives but could use your generosity and support:
- Aya Foundation—Exists to lead an Economic Revolution by creating a community of Black entrepreneurs, professionals, and leaders.
- Breast Box—Sends free surgery recovery items to people going through breast cancer, mastectomy, and/or reconstruction.
- Project I See You—Empowers women to take ownership over their lives and radically transform the communities around them.
- Vitalant—Exclusively focused on providing lifesaving blood and comprehensive transfusion medicine services to patients across the U.S.
The world is full of charitable causes that need support, but choosing a local organization can make a direct and meaningful impact on the lives of your neighbors. So, whether it's addressing housing, education, healthcare, or any other local issue, remember that your contribution, however big or small, can truly make a difference.